Don't see your question answered below? Use the Contact Us form to ask it.
- Do I need to be a member of ALA to register for an exhibits-only pass?
No, you do not need to be a member of ALA in order to register for an exhibits-only pass.
- Do I need to be a member of ALA to register for full Annual Conference & Exhibition registration?
No, you may register and attend the conference at the non-member rate. To learn more about membership, go to www.ala.org/membership/joinala
- Who should attend?
Librarians, authors, publishers, business professionals, educators and students--anyone who is passionate about books, libraries, and eager to learn and shape the future of the industry.
- What forms of payment does the onsite registration desk accept?
Onsite we accept cash, check, MasterCard, Visa, and American Express.
- How do I register for a preconference?
To register for a preconference, you can include it with your initial registration or add it later using the unique link in your email confirmation. If you don't have your registration confirmation handy, you can request a copy by emailing email@example.com.
- How can I attend a featured speaker session, such as Opening and Closing General Session, President’s Program, and Auditorium Speaker Series?
These sessions are open to full conference or day pass registrants of the 2017 ALA Annual Conference.
- Where is the Annual Conference taking place?
The conference will be hosted at the McCormick Place Convention Center.
- What is the dress code for the conference?
- Does ALA have a code of conduct for its conferences?
Yes, a Statement of Appropriate Conduct at ALA Conferences is posted on each of ALA's conference websites.
- Will there be a coat/bag check?
Yes, the coat check will be located in the West Coat Room, near the shuttle busses (Gate 44). $3.00 each item, cash only.
Coat Check Hours are:
Friday: 7:30 am-7:30 pm
Saturday: 7:30 am-6:00 pm
Sunday: 7:30 am-6:00 pm
Monday: 7:30 am-6:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am-1:00 pm
- What are your tips for staying cool? Try the 4 L's:
Layers – Dress in layers, as you will be moving from the heat outside to the cool in meeting rooms and hotels.
Liquid – Drink plenty of “good” fluids; there will be water stations in the hotels and convention center.
Lighten – Lighten your load, and don’t carry extra stuff with you as you’ll likely be walking a lot. Plan your day for what you will need.
Leisurely – Walk at a leisurely pace whether you are inside or out.
- Will there be a New Mothers Room or Nursing Room available at the Conference?
Yes, it will be located in the McCormick Place West Building, room W473.
- Do you offer childcare at Annual Conference & Exhibition?
ALA will reimburse the charges expended on childcare in the amount of $25 per day, per child to a maximum of $50 per day, per family to any fully registered parent for each day of the Annual Conference. You must provide a receipt for childcare. This covers only childcare in the parent’s hotel room or other residence in the meeting city (Chicago) and does not include charges for children’s food and transportation or gratuities and transportation for the sitter. ALA will not reimburse childcare expenses to attendees who live within the Chicago area that would be paid to the regular provider whether the parent was attending the Annual Conference or not. Parents may contact their hotel childcare center/babysitting service where it is available or find one online. Reimbursement forms are available at the ALA Conference Services Desk and must be signed by the individual performing the childcare services and presented by the parent to the ALA Conference Services Desk by Monday, June 26, 2017. Please note that all reimbursement will be mailed out to the attendee following the conference.
- Can non-committee members attend committee meetings?
Yes, anyone who is registered for the day of a committee meeting or for the full conference can attend any meeting that is not marked as "closed."
- Can non-ALA members attend committee meetings?
Yes, non-ALA members who are registered for the day of a committee meeting or for the full conference can attend any meeting not marked as "closed."
- Can I attend the ALA Awards Ceremonies if I have an Exhibits-Only pass?
No, only attendees registered for the conference itself can attend the ALA Awards Ceremonies.
- Does ALA agree with everything that is presented at the conference?
Because the conference serves as an open forum, opinions expressed and/or materials distributed by program participants do not necessarily reflect or imply advocacy or endorsement by the American Library Association, its officers, or members.
The statements and opinions contained in the exhibitor descriptions in the Midwinter Meeting Guide and Exhibits Directory are solely those of the individual exhibitors and not of the American Library Association. The appearance of advertisements in the Midwinter Meeting Guide and Exhibits Directory is not a warranty, endorsement, or approval of the products or services advertised or of their effectiveness or quality. To the extent permissible under applicable laws, no responsibility is assumed by the ALA for any injury and/or damage to persons or property as a result of any actual or alleged libelous statements, infringement of intellectual property or privacy rights, or products liability, whether resulting from the negligence or otherwise, or from any use of operation, ideas, instructions, procedures, products, or methods contained in the material therein.
In the Exhibits
- What is ALA's policy regarding children on the Exhibit Floor?
Strollers are permitted on the exhibit floor but only if there is a child in them at all times. Unescorted children are not permitted on the exhibit floor. Children under the age of five must be under control at all times (stroller, pack, etc.). Any child over the age of five must have an Exhibits Only badge to be admitted to the exhibit floor. These badges are available at onsite registration for $75. An adult must accompany all children under the age of 16.
- What is ALA's policy regarding wheeled devices on the Exhibit Floor?
Strollers and scooters are permitted on the exhibit floor as long as they are in use at all times. Wheeled carts, however, are not permitted at any time. If you have a medical condition requiring you to use a cart, please bring a doctor's note to the accessibility booth in the registration area.
- Can Exhibits-Only registrants attend author signings?
Any Exhibits-Only registrant can attend any author signing in the Exhibit Hall on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday.
- Does ALA provide transportation from the hotels to the convention center?
Yes, ALA and Gale, a Cengage Company, provide complimentary shuttle services from the official ALA hotels to the convention center. Dates, times and routes can be found in the Hotels & Travel section.
- Does ALA have any other tips for conference?
Yes, please click on the following link for general Safety Tips to follow while at conference and for general travel. Safety Tips. Make the most of conference, especially if you’re a first-timer. First Timer. Job or employee seekers: Stay in touch with the ALA JobLIST Placement Center. JobLIST.
- Are recordings of conference sessions available? The link to recorded sessions will be sent to full registrants of the Annual Conference approximately 6 weeks after the end of the conference.