Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday: and Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Monday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
In the Convention Center
What is it?
Make the connections you want at the Networking Uncommons space in the Convention Center. It’s a dedicated area where you can gather in small groups to have a quick meeting, hold impromptu sessions, polish your presentation, or just recharge your batteries.
We'll have tables, chairs, flipcharts, free convention center wifi, and a projector and screen, a lav mic for your phone and a tripod with phone mount in case you want to push content out in real-time. And power strips. Always the power strips....
If you’re feeling in the creative mood, we’ll have a ukulele to strum a tune on, button machines, sewing machines and craft supplies, coloring books and all the coloring supplies possible. Or pick-up a board game and make some friends, then grab a #selfie stick to capture the moment.
Sign up for a time slot if you want to plan ahead - otherwise, just show up. During open times, the area is up for grabs, although it's big enough that multiple groups can use it at once, even when someone has scheduled something. Or just look at the topics each day to see what interests you. Note that signing up for a time slot reserves the projector for you.
- Friday Uncommons schedule
- Saturday Uncommons schedule
- Sunday Uncommons schedule
- Monday Uncommons schedule
*Please note that we won't be able to provide desktop computers or laptops in this space, so you'll need to have your own laptop. If you have a Mac and you want to use the projector, please be sure to bring your VGA dongle, too.*
Ways you can use this space
- Have a seat on your own for a few minutes to power down.
- Power up your tech.
- Continue your group’s discussion after your official meeting.
- Offer a short, impromptu talk about a topic (just advertise it on Twitter, etc., and show up).
- Summarize your meeting and use our webcam to stream it live or record it for posting - it’s totally up to you.
- Have a hot topic everyone’s buzzing about at Midwinter but there’s no formal meeting to discuss it? You’ve found your space – just pick a time and tell everyone.
- Whatever else you can think of!
Meet and greet, or bring something to eat – it’s your space to use!
The only thing we ask is that you not book more than one hour per day so that everyone has a chance to use the space.
Vendors, to run activities or small meetings, please use your booth on the exhibit floor, the Customer Connect Lounge near the Exhibits Office, or contact ALA Conference Services to discuss getting space. (Selling, marketing, and distributing commercial or non-ALA marketing materials aren't allowed in the Uncommons.)